Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pre-Registration is Open!

I am so excited! And it's for something I never thought I would get excited about. Because this is something I've always hated and simply would NOT do before. But that was before I decided it was time to get myself healthy. And now, I'm excited about running. About running a 5K that is! Who is this girl I'm becoming?! I think some people might say I'm becoming a "runner...." And who thought that would ever happen? Not me, that's for sure.

Back on my 25 Before 25 list, I wanted to complete a Couch to 5K program. Well that didn't happen at all. I didn't actually even start one. I ran maybe four times, and then quit. Then I put Run a 5K on my 30 Before 30 list, and felt more serious about it this time. In February, I started running one Sunday, and quickly picked it up and was soon running multiple times a week, to lately I've been running about 5-6 days a week! And now comes the time where I start trying to "train" towards something, towards a goal.

My friend Sara asked me like a year ago to do a color run with her - and I almost immediately shot her down. It wasn't my thing. I wasn't a runner. I wasn't going to do it. And so we missed the ones that were all close to here, and I barely even noticed, because I didn't care about running. But she still really wanted to do one, and so she kept on asking me about it. And eventually she planted a bug in me, and made me want to do one now too! 

And so we started researching and trying to find one that we could do together. But the Florida ones have all happened already. Sad day. And the closest Georgia or Alabama ones are on dates that don't work for one or both of us. But then I started doing more research, and found another race called Run or Dye! And they have ones planned for Orlando & Atlanta (both about 4.5 hours from where we live), but the dates weren't announced for those yet. And it's not very smart to register for a race in another city if you don't know the date, especially when you're as busy as I am...

But then last night, I saw one of my old youth post a picture on her Instagram, saying that the Run or Dye race was coming to Tally!!! And I got so excited. And then this morning on Facebook, another friend posted  a link to pre-registration, and I immediately hopped over there to start checking stuff out. Technically, the dates of this one aren't announced yet either, but I scoured over hundreds of comments on their Facebook page to see that one girl mentioned when you pre-register, they give a tentative date of September 7th. And September 7th works for me!!

So it looks like I'll be running my very first 5K race on September 7, 2013, in the Run or Dye race, here in Tallahaseee!! Who can recommend the best training app or schedule? I need some suggestions!

Image via the Run or Dye Facebook page

Also, I definitely want to get a team together to do this. Really it just means you save $5 off of your registration, and that's about it. But I also need the support and camaraderie that comes from running with friends. So even though Pre-Registration is Open now, I'm waiting a bit until I can scrounge up a few friends to all register with me :) But no matter what, I WILL be running this race, and I'm strangely so excited for it!

14 comments:

Becky said...

You're going to have a blast!! I did Color Me Rad last semester and it was awesome!!! Great choice for you first 5k! Hal Higdon is a popular guy to get training schedules from I'd recommend one of his! You can then put your training plan into the Mapmyrun app and it'll track everything for you!

Stephanie + Walter said...

This sounds like a whole lot of fun!!

Jessica @ City Sequins said...

You are gonna love this! It is a total blast...I did it last year and had such a good time!

Kindra Guy said...

You're going to love it! I did a Color Run a few weeks ago and had a blast. I definitely plan to do another one. Have fun girl!

Hallie @ Life:Oceanside said...

I so wish I was closer to Tally I would totally do this with you!

Angie Bean said...

I actually pre-registered the other day!!!! I think a bunch of us from my office are going to go! AND if you pre-register you get $10 off! SO so so so excited! We should get together one Sunday and run together (warning, I am a very slow runner, I only run fast when something is chasing me...)

Esme said...

I'm with you chica, I started running back in March and I'm slowly but surely getting my miles up! Went from half a mile to a mile and yesterday I did three! YAY

I hope you have a blast!

Nicole said...

How exciting! I think you'll have a blast!

Skylar Southall said...

This looks exactly like the color run that I am doing on April 20th! (However mine will be a walk/jog). I am so excited to do this as well!

http://ouradventureto3.blogspot.com

Bria said...

Yay! I am so excited for you!!! Running is so different from any other type of workout and so helpful with mental stress. Definitely feelthrough free to aske me any questions you mightthe have. I have no doubt you'll be doing half marathons soon!!!!!! Happy fridat girl!

Julie Donahue said...

I'd recommend you try the C25K again. Get the free app from Zen Labs. It will allow you to access your own music and playlists from within the app.

I started slowly--never believing I could ever run. ( I started at almost 300 pounds). I am now on my final week. I struggled along until about week 5. Then something snapped, and I seem to be a runner now.

Amy @ Living n Learning said...

Looks like a fun race to do! Good luck with training. Can't wait to hear how the race goes later this year!

Veronica @ Passion, Pink & Pearls said...

You are going to have SO much fun!!!
Is it just like the color run?

Bernadette Callahan Powell said...

Awesome! Im sure you will have a BLAST!! I won a registration to Color Me Rad here in Tampa and its in May so I need to get up and get myself ready for it, I am really not lol. Loving the blog so far and still have alot of wandering around to do. :) Am new to blogging and looking for some good reads myself.

http://aimlessmoments.blogspot.com/