Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Parents, Sports & Injuries - First Things First

Happy Tuesday ladies! I usually try not to wish away the weekdays by only looking forward to Friday, but it's hard this week. Because this weekend I'm going to St. Augustine! I get to see some of my very bestest friends, and also take our engagement pictures! So of course I'm super excited for that!! And so it's hard to pretend I'm not happy that we're another day closer to Friday :) But first, we need to get to our weekly First Things First link-up today! And this week we have another great round of awesome co-hosts.

This week we have Emily from Be Blessed, Y'all and Breanna from Counting Blessings!


And today's First Things First topics are:

First movie you went to without your parents
First sport you played (either Little League-style or in school)
First major injury


First movie you went to without your parents:
I'm gonna go with "Titanic!" I was in 4th grade, in the spring time I believe, which means I would have been 10 years old. I'm not sure if that was appropriate for a ten-year-old at the time (I guess not since technically it was rated PG-13), but oh well! I was with my best friend at the time (who's still a great friend over 10 years later!), Amanda. Her mom brought us to the theater, but I don't remember her actually staying in the theater with us. Maybe she went to another movie or something? I don't know. But it wasn't with my mama, and so that's what counts!

Looking back on the "scandalousness" of the movie (made up that word myself #thankyouverymuch), it's really not all that bad compared with most of the crap that is in movies all the time now! Sure, as 10-year-old girls we saw some grown-up lady bits on Rose (I'd say most girls had already seen those) but that was about it. I mean the big "love scene" was all of about 30 seconds, you didn't see anything too specific, and the most scandalous part of that was a hand slapping a steamy window. Big whoop. At the time, it of course felt like much more of a big deal, but now we definitely see much much worse in movies and even on TV!

First sport you played (Little League-style or in school):
I never actually did Little League or anything when I was younger! I was in ballet and dance classes as a little baby toddler, but that didn't last long. It wasn't really my thing, y'all. And then I didn't really do too much after that, until eighth grade! At the end of my seventh grade year, I tried out for cheerleading, and made the JV squad! (Remember my school was K-12, so 8th grade cheerleaders were on the JV "high school" team). And then I did that every year until I graduated, and loved it!!

2005 - Senior Year. I'm on the front row, very center. And my friend Amanda from story #'s 1 & 3 is the blonde to my left.

First major injury:
This is actually another story that also involves my old bestie, Amanda! (We have quite a few ridiculous stories, come to think of it...) So I think we were about in 7th grade at the time, and I had spent the night one Friday at her house. They lived out in the country, and had lots of land. One of our favorite things to do was ride their 4-wheeler's! (ATV's) So we were each on our own, and we went on a big trail through the woods that circled their entire property, and got real close up to their fence at one point.

Well, I ran over a big root, and it made me swerve a little bit, and I swerved towards a tree, hit it a little bit with the front of the 4-wheeler, and kinda bounced and jolted around on the seat. I didn't fall off or anything, but my right calf was burning a bit. I didn't know why it was hurting, but I thought maybe I got it snagged on a thorny vine or something. After a couple seconds, I got ready and set off again, and we kept going. Back at the house though, we realized it was way more than just a cut or scratch. Turns out, my calf had been pushed up next to searing hot muffler, and burned very badly! In fact, it was burned sooo badly, that half of the word "Yamaha" had actually been burned into my leg. And there was a huge chunk of my skin missing that had just been burned off.

I don't remember exactly, but it may have turned out to be a third-degree burn.Or maybe my memory is exaggerating  but it was a second-degree burn at least! It was gaping open flesh people. Then it turned into a big giant pus-bubble, with multiple little ones surrounding it. Then when those popped, it was gaping open flesh again. I had to go to the doctor and get special medicines to take and creams to rub on with a Popsicle stick. It was rough. And it was disgusting. And I wish I had a picture of it! But yeah, I'd say that was definitely my first major injury!

If you'd like to join in on this fun link up, check out the super simple 'rules' below, and get to writing! Can't wait to see all the new link ups this week, meet new friends, and read y'all's posts!

1. Write your own post about this week's topics
2. Please follow me, as well as this week's co-hosts, Emily & Breanna.
3. Put the new button on your post or somewhere on your blog
4. Link up with us! (Link will appear on all three blogs.)
5. Visit some of the other links, and share the love with them on their posts!
6. Spread the word on Twitter and/or Facebook



And if you'd like to start preparing for next week's First Things First topics and link-ups, start by checking out next week's co-hosts, Kaitlynn from Wifessionals and Joanna from Jay Bird's Flight. And next weeks topics will be:
1.  First thing you would do/buy if you won the lottery
2.  First person  you call when you get amazing news
3. First thing you do when you've had a bad day

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think my first movie with my parents was either Batman or Congo...whichever one came out first lol

Rachel said...

Ahhh, I remember seeing Titanic at the movie theatre. I went alone with my best friend and hysterically cried the entire time! ha

Kate said...

Oh, Titanic! I was in 7th grade when I saw it and I went with my sister and a few friends. The place was so packed that we all ended up sitting alone, strewn throughout the theater! Last year (or was it two years ago), when Titanic was re-released with 3D, Pete and I went to see it. We sat in front of some tweens who had obviously never seen it. Their reactions were the best part about the movie--when the hand slapped up on the window, they giggled exactly like I had. It was precious!

Erin Harris said...

ouch on the injury! But it is slightly funny that "yamaha" was burned on your leg! I'm glad we can laugh our injuries off :)